Saturday, June 05, 2010

Returned from the Philippines.

I have just arrived home from the Philippines scouting trip, it was a great success. There are so many great photo opportunities there, I'm really excited get down to the "nitty gritty" and pull it all together. Over the next few weeks I will be putting the final touches on an itinerary together and contacting the folks I met with while there, to hammer out the logistics and pricing for a 2011 tour!

It's sometimes funny how little coincidences seem to pop up. Like last night while going through some mail that had accumulated during my absence. Here I was, just returning from the Philippines, and on my desk I see Education Development Center's 2009 Annual Report. On the cover was an image I shot for them in Mindanao and on other pages, shots I took in Afghanistan and Guinea.
 Education Development Center (EDC), one of my NGO clients, is a global nonprofit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public-sector and private partners, EDC harnesses the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. They have 350 projects in 35 countries around the world with programs and services which include research, training, educational materials and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
So often in the news we only read about tragedy and conflict, so please, have a look at EDC's Annual Report and perhaps explore their website for a few moments. It's refreshing to see the wonderful and amazing things being done around the world by a committed group of individuals like those at EDC.

9 comments:

Terry Wheeler said...

Wonderful work Karl!
You are so right that there are many positive things being done in third world countries. What better way to show this than through the eyes of a great photographer!
Terry

Red Dawn said...

Hi Karl,

I discovered your blog in the past month and have been reading your entries since then. I'm particularly inspired by how you transit from the corporate world to a full time photographer, as I'm about to take the same route. I'm also excited that your work is mainly in Asia as that's where I live and work (Singapore) so maybe there will be chances for us to run into each other.

Love your work!

Unknown said...

very amazing work Karl. i recently just joined a very small NGO, it focus on helping children to get better education in my country, Indonesia. i always wanted to join and do something to help others. your works and photos has inspired me to do so.

Take care

Unknown said...

Karl,

So will be home for your B'day...
Keep me posted for the PHP trip. I am next door, been there many times and love the place !!
Next time you are around this area you can say hi as well !
Cheers
TD

Celso Mollo said...

Hi Karl

Celso here.
Have I ever told you that you have the best job in the world? "yep"
Have I ever told you you are the best photographer I know in person and the one I learned the most from? 'Yep"
I have been following your blog, it is in my favorites and I travel with you to all those places.
I think it's time for me to plan the reunion with my friend and go on a photographic adventure and have fun.
2011 will be the year, I will just have to choose which tour. You know my style, what tour would you suggest for me?
I hope to see you soon my friend.

Cheers

PS How is the new equipment working for you?

Karl Grobl said...

Celso Buddy, thanks for that awesome message!
I'm so glad to hear 2011 will be the year you can come along on another tour with me. It was such a great time traveling with you in Peru. OK, my suggestion is to choose Myanmar or India...both of those trips are absolutely the most incredible photo opportunities on the planet!
Cheers.
Karl

Gustavo Payan said...

Hey Karl,

Welcome back! Great pictures from the Philippines (yet again!). I bet you feel like home there now. Hope we coincide there next time. Thanks for featuring EDC's work and the Annual Report. Yes, the new Report is full of your photos. I was so pleased that our PI project made the cover!

Hope all is well and happy birthday! I'm around. Let's chat soon.

Gustavo

Lester S Delvalle said...

Being a Filipino American I appreciate what you do. It's been 16 years since I've seen Manilla and all your photos have brought back great memories. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Drey said...

Hello Karl,

You are an inspiration! Would like to be someone like you someday. Though I am not dreaming of becoming a full-time photojournalist. I dream of becoming a photographer whose pictures are a candidate for social reform.

Love the photos. God Bless you always!

-Drey